How to create a DVD image with very large files?

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 21:11:28 UTC 2006

> Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a 6.5 Gbyte tarball that I want to archive on a dual layer DVD.
>> Unfortunately, I don't have a dual-layer writer on my PC, however, I
>> do have access to another (Windows) PC that _does_ have a dual-layer
>> writer.
> Don't know if this helps, but... A friend of mine suggests that you use Win
> RAR instead of a tarball and have it split the volume, then you can save it
> on a single layer DVD.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the image I wish to back
up is the former contents of a 20 Gbyte reiserfs partition (of which
15 Gbytes were used).  I don't believe that Win RAR will support
reading a Linux reiserfs partition, nor do I expect it will handle
things like symbolic links, device nodes, etc...  But I'll check it
out nonetheless.

--wpd