remove "shutdown" option from gnome system (not gdm!) menu?

Berna Massingill bmassing at cs.trinity.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:52:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:46:48PM -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:

>>  Gnome 2.6 purplorts to have this feature:
>>  http://www.gnome.org/start/2.6/notes/rnwhatsnew.html
>>  (near the bottom - "lockdown" section).

Which sounds really promising, doesn't it?  but as I think you also
found out, "disallow shutdown" isn't one of the things one can lock
down.

>>  The "thin clients" I spoke of are essentially running the same remote
>>  X command you mentioned above.  I thought you might be able to see if
>>  somehow the remote screen toggled something in Gnome to remove the
>>  "shut down" command.

It must, but I don't know where to start looking for that!  (Maybe
someone else can point me/us?)

>>  Still poking around - seems like the value would be in gconf
>>  *somewhere* - just don't see it...

Yeah.  I tried doing "gconftool-2 -R /", which as best I can tell
should list all the configurable options, and I didn't find anything
either.  (If someone knows a better way -- ?)

-- blm