Linux home data center challenge :-)

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Oct 5 13:11:08 UTC 2006

Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, David Fletcher wrote:
>
>> At 00:40 05/10/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>> I was just speculating how hard it would be to turn my Fedora
>>> box (which is up all the time) into the central system all
>>> my other computers go to for information (smtp, dns, imap, dhcp,
>>> etc).
>>
>> This is something I also fancy doing sometime, but I would question
>> whether Fedora is the best distribution for the purpose. What is
>> needed IMHO is something that once set up will be extremely stable
>> and won't need to be upgraded for a long time. Because of the
>> relatively rapid fire release cycle of Fedora it is great for the
>> desktop where you want all the latest stuff but not necessarily for a
>> server.
>>
>> Ubuntu Server is currently promising, I think, a five year support
>> period, so that is the one we are currently looking at for a new
>> engineering department server at work. I've got it experimentally set
>> up on what used to be my desktop PC, serving files and some queues
>> for networked printers via Samba. I've not tried setting up email
>> services yet - that's also something I want to try to learn to do in
>> the future. I'm keeping notes on what I've done to it so far to set
>> it up, if you want to see these just email me off list and I'll send
>> the file over to you.
>
> Since you are already using fedora, you might want to look at Centos.
> That is
> a rebuild of RHEL. 7 year support IIRC.
>
> Regards,

I haven't had any trouble at all with using FC as my central server.  I
have 13 systems at home (10 desktops/servers) and 3 laptops and 2 of my
Fedora boxes act as central servers for files/home directories, dns,
smtp, dhcp, etc.  The rapid release schedule doesn't really bother me or
those servers.  I always upgrade my backup first, make sure everything
works, then upgrade the primary.  I don't see the problem with the
release schedule except possibly in the case of a serious
production-level system.

But that's just me.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.