Linux home data center challenge :-)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Oct 5 15:34:59 UTC 2006

Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:

>Since you are already using fedora, you might want to look at Centos. That is
>a rebuild of RHEL. 7 year support IIRC.

Been doing that here for several years.  My "server" (Athlon 1700+ with
768MB RAM) is currently running CentOS 4.4.  I originally started out
with WhiteBox 3 (RHEL 3 equivalent) but the support and community didn't
seem to be there.  I wanted to get to an RHEL 4 equivalent with a 2.6
kernel so I could run pam_abl.  I installed CentOS 4.3 right after it
was released and yum upgraded the system to 4.4 automagically about a
month ago.  Pretty slick.  The box provides my firewall/NAT server, DNS,
DHCP, IMAP, POP, SMTP, CUPS, backup (Amanda), Samba (print and shared
disk) and NFS.  It sounds like a lot for a low end box but the only
users are my wife and me.

[root at fraud ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.4 (Final)
[root at fraud ~]# uname -a
Linux fraud.davenjudy.org 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL #1 Tue Aug 22 23:56:05 CDT
2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root at fraud ~]# uptime
 09:28:20 up 32 days, 20:37, 10 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce