Nautilus broken for users, ok for root

Rob Brown-Bayliss uncertain.genius at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:34:32 UTC 2006

Hi, I discovered this problem back when I first upgraded from fc4 to
fc 5. Prior to that I had always done fresh installs preserving only
the home partion.

Yesterday I installed fc6 test3 and the problem presists, but by
accident I discovered that the problem is for my normal user account
and not for the root user.

The problem is when I click on an icon for basically any file type
other than palin text I get a message dialog like this:

===============

The filename "1.jpg" indicates that this file is of type "jpg
document". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type
"JPEG image". If you open this file, the file might present a security
risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received
the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to
the correct extension for "JPEG image", then open the file normally.
Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application
for the file.

if I rename the file to 1.jpeg then it opens correctly.

so I have to right click the file and choose the open with menu.

Any one with some clues as to what the problem is?

--
Rob