Dual boot fedora and windoz-xp

Erich Carlson computerperceptions at coxinet.net
Fri Oct 6 01:57:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 01:28 +0000, John Bowden wrote:
> Hi list.
> I have just installed Fedora on its own 40GB hard drive on a
> dual boot system. I told the installer to use the empty 40GB,
> (slave) and go for the default partition - lvm set up. Grub was
> installed on the master disk as for default. When I reboot I
> don't get any grub screen giving me a choice of o/s , it just
> goes straight into xp. Is there a key combination I can press to
> get into grub? I have been using Mandriva for about two years so
>  I'm not quite a Linux newbie, but I do not have much experience
> with Grub, as Mandriva uses Lilo. I rebooted with the Fedora
> core 5 DVD and went into the repair option, but not being a
> linux comand line expert could not do much with it. I typed
> grubconfig and got no recognised command. I then typed grub and
> got to a grub - bash like shell, after which typing grub help
> gave me a list of options none of which seemed to be much help
> to me as a Fedora / grub newbie! Can any one give me some
> advice?

I had the same problem with trying to dual boot a windows xp on disk 0
and fedora on disk 1

So I loaded fedora on disk 1 by unplugging disk 0 and changing the bios
to switch the slave drive to disk 0, then loaded fedora on it with grub
on the slave drive.

After that I plugged disk 0 with winxp back in but left the bios to boot
from disk 1. I then added the following to grub to get it to boot winxp

title WXP
	map (hd0) (hd1)
	map (hd1) (hd0)
	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
	makeactive
	chainloader +1

wasn't the way I'd like to have done it, but wasn't ever able to get
past the situation you are experiencing.

erich