many installs, what gives?

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Oct 6 15:23:00 UTC 2006

At 1:35 AM -0400 10/6/06, Ric Moore wrote:
>Weird, sound disappeared in several apps like xine and foxfire and
>kaffine. So I'm looking where the heck it went within specific apps.
>Mplayer works just fine. So, I'm thinking they have gstreamer in common
>and I found this.
>
>/usr/bin/gst-feedback            /usr/bin/gst-xmlinspect-0.10
>/usr/bin/gst-feedback-0.10       /usr/bin/gst-xmlinspect-0.8
>/usr/bin/gst-feedback-0.8        /usr/bin/gst-xmllaunch
>/usr/bin/gst-inspect             /usr/bin/gst-xmllaunch-0.10
>/usr/bin/gst-inspect-0.10        /usr/bin/gst-xmllaunch-0.8
>/usr/bin/gst-inspect-0.8         /usr/bin/gswitchit-plugins-capplet
>
>Is this normal????
>what's with all the version numbers? Ric

I only have the unnumbered and 0.10 versions, all with the same date.  I
suspect that this is not your problem.

I had a similar problem, which I noticed yesterday, in that the various
system sounds no longer play and the "soundcard detection" failed, even
though gstreamer could play sounds and the gnome sounds could be sampled in
Sound Preferences.  Also, the volume must be set higher than before.  I
tried rebuilding the gstreamer registry with gst-inspect, per the Gstreamer
FAQ at
<http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/>, but
that didn't seem to make any difference, and the new file was the same size.

Today, after a reboot, sound works properly.  Possibly logging out and back
in would have been enough.