file image creation failed

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Sat Oct 7 14:59:59 UTC 2006

On 2006-10-04 18:03:52, Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:

> Thufir kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko, 4.
> lokakuuta 2006 22:28):
>> I was going to extract from a CD, but am getting a dialog
>> window from grip stating:
>>
>> No tracks selected.
>> Rip whole CD?
>
> Did you select any tracks? Did you try ripping the whole CD?
> Did you get any actual errors?
>
>> I can't get
>> the path to that disk out of the GUI file manager (nautilus?).
>
> Audio CDs don't contain any files and can't be mounted, that's
> why you need a ripping program like grip.

Actually this last stattment is incorrect: if you go to the trouble to
add the cdfs driver available at
http://www.elis.UGent.be/~ronsse/cdfs/.  Unfortunately no RPM for cdfs
is available (that I know of), and you must have the kernel source
installed for your current kernel - you have to run the make by hand.
(... I know that this is more trouble than most people want to go
to...)  However, I have been using it for years without any problems
and am currently using it on FC5. After I switch to a new kernel, it
takes only a few minutes to do the cdfs install and I'm set.

cdfs has the advantage of enabling mounting whatever CD or DVD you have
so that you can actually see the ".wav" (for audio) or ".iso" (for data
cds/dvds) directly.

Occasionally I have been able to mount an audio CD and retrieve the raw
".wav" files when ripping failed (... failed for reasons that I never
bothered to figure out).

Good luck.
william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."