Limited data transfer outside local network ..?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Sat Oct 7 23:35:28 UTC 2006

ahbril <no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I&#039;ve just installed Fedora Core 5:
>Linux dgb33 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 #1 Mon Sep 11 01:17:06 EDT 2006 i686
>i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
>I am experiencing one of the most slippery problems I&#039;ve ever
>encountered. In short, data transfer from the internet stops after
>some initial traffic.
>
>I searched FAQs, Google, forums, ... but nothing remotely similar
>comes up.

First, I'll pick on your subject.  Nothing wrong with it but what
happens if you use the same system to scp a file internally?  Same for
doing something like opening something like the SWAT (samba web
administration tool) on another box or some internal web server?  Have
you tried just letting ping run for a while?  Also, try the same actions
through the loopback interface (e.g., open SWAT on this box through
127.0.0.1).

If "things" stop after a consistent (time or byte count) point, chances
are that something is causing them to stop.  If the stop point is
random, you may have a hardware problem.  ifconfig *may* provide some
useful information (like error count, dropped packets, etc.).  If things
are "normal" internally, chances are you've got a firewall, router or
something that is stopping network activity for some reason.

You never know what can cause problems.  A while back my internet
service started degrading.  It finally got to the point where I couldn't
get out at all.  I use point-to-point wireless and my ISP said they had
a good signal to my antenna but I couldn't "reach" the antenna box.
They finally sent a service tech out to check the problem.  Turns out a
squirrel had chewed through part of cat5 line to the antenna.  They
replaced the line and I coated it with hot sauce (Cold Cap to be
exact).  Hopefully, the neighborhood squirrels don't like spicy food.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce