FC5 and SCSI

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Mon Oct 9 05:16:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 21:11 -0500, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:07 +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
> > Jeff Vian wrote:

Actually, I don't remember having to specify that at install time. You
will want to check a few things, if you are using SCSI hard disks:

1. Does the SCSI card see the hard disks? On boot, Adaptec cards give
you the option to press Ctrl+A to get to the SCSI BIOS where you can run
tests. Make sure that the hard disks can be seen --and seen reliably--
before continuing with the install

2. Are the SCSI hard disks connected internally or externally?
Sometimes, for external connections, the cable can be problematic. Hence
the need to test that the hard disks can be seen reliably. This seems to
be a bigger problem with U320 and better SCSI disks.

3. What SCSI disks are you using? I had serious problems with a
Quantum/Maxtor drive a few years ago. It could be seen by the BIOS, and
when connected internally, it worked fine. But when I connected it to
the computer through an external cable and housing, it would not install
and kept giving me kernel panics. The funny thing was, it worked on
Windows, but not Linux. When I switched to Seagate, the problems
disappeared.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur