Strange exim .include behavior

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 09:25:05 UTC 2006

gdub wrote:
> Good afternoon-
>
> I have an exim configuration I use on a
> number of Gentoo boxes and have begun to
> experiment with FC4 for future deployments.
>
> Exim is 4.62 in both environments.
>

> The trouble is with a particular
> .include statement. It works find on the
> Gentoo machines but not on the FC4.
>

> Here is the output of exim -bV:
>

> [root at e exim]# exim -bV
> Exim version 4.62 #1 built 02-May-2006 07:39:12
> Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2006
> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.27: (March 13, 2006)
> Support for: crypteq iconv() IPv6 PAM Perl TCPwrappers OpenSSL
> Content_Scanning Old_Demime
> Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb
> dsearch ldap ldapdn ldapm mysql nis nis0 nisplus passwd pgsql sqlite
> Authenticators: cram_md5 cyrus_sasl plaintext spa
> Routers: accept dnslookup ipliteral manualroute queryprogram redirect
> Transports: appendfile/maildir/mailstore/mbx autoreply lmtp pipe smtp
> Fixed never_users: 0
> Size of off_t: 4
> 2006-10-05 16:30:10 Exim configuration error in line 491 of
> /etc/exim/exim.conf:
>   failed to open included configuration file
> /var/local/mailconfig/local/localdelivery
>

> The error occurs when I run exim with
> -bV or -bh. But, when I start the exim daemon,
> there is no error.
>
> The even weirder thing is that if I move the
> .include line from the transport section up
> to the main section, it includes just fine
> (with a syntax error because it's a transport
> def)
>
> The file does includes from the same directory,
> with the same permissions elsewhere in the file
> with no problems (everything is world readable
> since I've been trying to track this down). It's
> not a typo or missing file, because, I can paste
> the error value into an 'ls -l' and get the file
> back--and exim runs in daemon mode without
> an error.
>
> I've racked my now feeble brain on this for
> a while now and my Google searches have been
> fruitless. I'm writing to the Fedora list
> because, as I mentioned, I use this same config
> on a number of Gentoo systems without a problem.
>
> Any idea what's going on or what I should be
> looking for?
>
> TIA,
>
>   -dub

You might want to try asking this on the Exim mailing list, exim-users, which
you would need to subscribe to first at www.exim.org. There are people on that
list who know Exim pretty well (i.e. they maintain it).

I don't personally use .include so I can't help you. The only real difference
between running in foreground and daemon mode is the user that Exim is running
as. When in daemon mode Exim normally runs as exim.mail. Are you comlpetely sure
that the permissions on that file are identical, at the group and world level,
and that SELinux isn't getting in the way?

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555