firefox and cnn?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Oct 9 19:51:02 UTC 2006

 <tomhorsley at adelphia.net> wrote:

>> It is apparently one of the scripts being run on the page as using the
>> noscript plug-in allows me to view the page (no I haven't tried to watch
>> a video or anything yet.  need someone to test this with all other
>> browsers and t a message to CNNs IT guys.
>

>I just temporarily renamed the libflashplayer.so file and the spike
>in cpu goes away. Rename it back, and the spike comes back.
>It looks like the flash ad for cisco is doing it (no doubt a clever ploy
>on cisco's part to make your computer act bogged down so their
>consultants can tell you what you need are new routers  :-) .

I got tired of all the spin on CNN so some time ago I started hitting
the BBC international page instead.  Better coverage of the "rest of the
world" and a lot less spin for U.S. news.  I went back to CNN last night
after the North Koreans tested their a-bomb to see if they had any
additional coverage.  Couldn't even click through to the full article
due to the Cisco advertisement.  I guess I'll stick with the Beeb.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce