Copying a user to a new user?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 11 09:35:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 20:10 +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> does it work recursivly through multiple levels of the file tree, and
> does it mater who owns what in /etc/skel before I create the new
> user?

Try it and see.  You're creating a new user, so you're not going to
stuff up any existing users.

The skel directory populates *new* users, so it couldn't possibly
already have the ownerships set for that new user.  My guess would be
that it'd be filled with root owned files and folders, so that no other
ordinary user could poison things for new users.

--
(Currently running FC4, but testing FC5, if that's important.)

I read messages from the public lists.