intel core 2 duo

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Oct 11 15:44:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 09:43 +0100, Nigel Wade wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
> > Louis Garcia wrote:
> >> Just got my hands on a laptop with this chip. Any difference installing
> >> i386 or x86_64 version of fedora? I've heard fedora had a problem with
> >> this new chip?
> >>
> >> -Louis
> >>

> > There is NO advantage installing a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU that has
> > extended features to EMULATE AMD 64 bit instructions.  Other than memory
> > address space and a few other things that will never be warranted on
> > today's laptops.
> >
> > Stick with 32 bit Fedora on all intel CPU platforms except itanic.  You
> > will be fine.
> >
> > Having said that, I would also propound that the opposite is true for
> > AMD 64 bit CPU platforms.  You can lose up to 15 percent (from my own
> > personal tests) performance by running a 32 bit made for intel
> > instruction set on AMD CPUs, because it has to EMULATE 32 bit instructions.
>
> Could you please provide some documentary evidence for your assertion that AMD64
> processors EMULATE [your emphasis, not mine] 32 bit instructions?

I am not sure, but my mother board had some serious problems, so I
had to replace it. I found the cheapest MoBo/CPU combo I could
find, and ended up with an ASUS K8V-X SE MoBo and an AMD Sempron
2800+. My old mobo had a Celeron 2.4, but it was cheaper to buy
a new MoBo and CPU than to get one that worked with the old CPU.
I did not realize that the Sempron was 64 bit until I had the
system back up and running and someone asked how well the 64 bit
system was working, then I looked at the CPU box more carefully.
I am still using the same kernel {kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5} I was
using with the old MoBo CPU combo, and this system is considerably
faster that it used to be. I am extremely happy with the 32 bit
performance, and since I only have 1GB of RAM I don't think I need
the 64 bit memory support.

In conclusion, whether or not 32 bit opcodes are emulated or
native, the processor runs very well with a 32 bit kernel.
As I need this computer for work I am not intending on trying
any 64 bit tests, since the system is working well, and I can't
afford for it to be down.