Copying a user to a new user?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Wed Oct 11 16:21:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 18:30 +1300, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
>> Hi, I want to creat a new user and copy all files from another users
>> home into the new users home and have them be the new users files, how
>> would I do this so things like old evolution mail and other files all
>> work?
>>
>> Could I just temporarily copy them all to /etc/skel ?
>
> That should work! That's how I did it in the BBS days, put all the
> useful stuff for a new user there. Ric

An easier way is to just tar all the files in the one home directory, su
to the new user account and untar the file into the new home directory.
Make sure you perserve the file permissions in the tar file.  Untaring
them will reassign the ownership of the files and does not have the
possibility of leaving things around for the next new user or destroying
things in skel.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink