Intel(r) Core2 Duo Processors"

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Oct 12 20:18:14 UTC 2006

At 7:30 PM +0200 10/12/06, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>On 12/10/06, James Wilkinson <fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk> wrote:
>> What I meant was "why are you upgrading, and what are you currently
>> finding slow?"
>
>I often have at least five programs open (Firefox, Kmail, amaroK,
>Kopete, and F-Spot), and this 1.2 gHz AMD Duron machine, even with 1GB
>of RAM, is dead-slow. Programs take forever to open, webpages take
>forever to load.

I have a Athlon 1.2 GHz 512 MB and it is not slow on FC5, though I'm not
running the same mix as you are.  I think possibly something is not right
on your system.  Does top show a high load, or indicate that the system is
swapping?  Perhaps the disks are fragmented -- EXT2/3 data structures don't
suffer much from fragmentation, but the file data does.