thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Oct 13 13:59:44 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> I dont see the advantage of using a specific repository instead of just
> getting the logs from the mirrors on the package update hits they get.
> They already are syncing gigabytes of package updates.

I think Les' concept is that his method allows opt-out.  But RHAT can do
the mirror log crunching anyway to gain more insight into what was
actually pulled from the mirrors whether the guy opted in or out.  Since
the user benefits from the bandwidth provided from the mirror, it's
pretty hard to see how they can really object to anonymized stats on
their usage.  It's a good deal for the end user no matter how you turn it.

If for example the stats show that 80% of Fedora users are inoculated
against security vulns within 3 days, that has value for all of us since
it dissuades blackhats from targeting all of us.

-Andy