Intel(r) Core™2 Duo Processors"

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 00:30:23 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 14/10/06, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Curious, I'm running an Athlon 1.3GHz (last one before XP ratings),
>> with 1GB of RAM, and I don't experience this, typically I'll be
>> running firefox, thunderbird, some music player (depends, LastFM client,
>> XMMS), vnc and be fine.  Although I do find that Wikipedia (and to
>> a lesser extent The Register) really slow firefox down, but it doesn't
>> affect the rest of the machine.  I'm not sure why that happens; my
>> parents machine is a similar (lower) spec, running Win98SE and
>> firefox has no problem on Wikpedia there.
>>
>> Some of the newer apps are horribly slow though, Evince is often
>> unusable.  Doing video encoding and not setting the priority will
>> also slow things down, but that's to be expected.
>
> Well, the Athalonm was the better version of the Duron. More cache, I
> think, and the highest speed Duron was a few months behind the highest
> speed Athalon. Wikipedia slows your machine down? Strange. Gmail slows
> mine down, but with all the AJAX I'm not suprised. But there's no
> scripting on wikipedia.

Like I said, it's funny.  Wikipedia won't kill the machine, just slows
Firefox down something shocking.  I've always assumed it's due to heavy
CSS use and the way it's implemented with Gtk, but haven't checked.  I
wouldn't have thought the extra cache would make that much difference
in heavy multi-tasking (as opposed to video/audio/image processing
where you might see something).

--
imalone