Is Fedora *really* Free?

J.Moore listreader1 at cullmail.com
Mon Oct 16 04:51:15 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 21:26 +0100, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> Dom, 2006-10-15 às 15:12 -0500, J.Moore escreveu:
> > On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 08:22 +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> >
> > > So the question remains, and it's a serious one, from a serious and
> > > committed Fedora user and developer; is the Fedora Project really
> > > Free?
> >
> > Freedom appears to have a lot of different meanings. Personally, I think
> > the definition of freedom espoused by the OpenBSD project matches most
> > closely with mine; closer to an "absolute" version of freedom.
> >
> > http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq1.html#ReallyFree
>
> I am a big fan of OpenBSD's PF and a few other things, but this policy
> of giving some users the power to abuse others seems like a shamefull
> thing to be proud of, which is why prefer most GNU/Linux distributions
> to *BSDs.

I don't think it's a policy - it's more like a culture of arrogance. I
agree that it's nothing to be proud of, and I also agree that it's a big
negative for many, myself included. But personalities aside, this
doesn't change the fact that it is "more free" than other free distros.

> Some do think like you do, until they are "backstabbed" and then come
> back to the GPL or LGPL (like WINE, for instance).

I've had a round or two with the wankers - you have to develop an
attitude to take the bad with the good. And survival demands that you
not let the bastards get you down  :)