Help with tcpdump query

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Oct 16 15:12:15 UTC 2006

"Dan Track" <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Thanks for the reply unforutnately I'm still getting the unresolvable error:
>
>tcpdump -n -i eth0  not port 22 and not port 53 and not host
>a72-246-55-1.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com and not ip proto \\icmp
>
>tcpdump: unknown host 'a72-246-55-1.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com'
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>Dan

It appears to be an unresolvable internal address at Akamai.  I get all
sorts of responses from "dig any akamaitechnologies.com" but I get a "no
server" for either the specific host or deploy.akamaitechnologies.com.
You'll need to come up with a different way of excluding that host
(e.g., not net akamaitechnologies.com).

Not resolving internal hosts for external name queries is pretty
standard.  Logwatch tells me I'm getting several queries every day for
hosts on my internal net that I've used as examples in posting.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce