dvorak layout

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 16 21:04:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 10:56 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Can someone send me the dvorak layout(s)
> > in /usr/share/keymaps/ please? I don't seem
> > to have them. Also, if there's a flag in
> > /usr/share/locale/
> > or
> > /usr/share/apps/kgeography/flags/
> > or anywhere else (locate dvorak) I'd appreciate
> > that too, so the KDE can show me the layout
> > on the switcher. Thanks in advance.
> >

> I have these on my system.  Are any of these useful to you?  If so, just
> say which ones and I'll zip and send them to you.
>
> $ slocate /dvorak
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/ANSI-dvorak.map.gz
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak-r.map.gz
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak.map.gz
> /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak/dvorak-l.map.gz
> /usr/share/aspell/dvorak.kbd
> /usr/share/vim/vim63/macros/dvorak
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/sgi/dvorak
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/dvorak
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/dvorak
>
> I love watching people who don't know about Dvorak trying to use a
> keyboard.  Talk about security through obscurity ;D

I don't want to start a flame war here, but the QWERTY layout was
designed _specifically_ to slow typists down so they didn't jam up the
old manual typewriter mechanisms.  Dvorak was developed after the
typewriter had been refined to the point where it was difficult to
"outrun" the mechanism.  I realize that you may not know this as I'm an
old fart who actually learned to type on an old Olivetti/Underwood
manual typewriter back in the ancient 1960's.

The keyboard for typesetting machines (Linotypes, etc.) is a different
layout yet again, and makes up for the prevalence of certain letters
in the English language (the "e", for example, is the first channel
closest to the casting blank since "e" is used far more often than other
letters).  Yes, I used to do hot-metal typesetting and ran Linotypes.
Like I said, I'm an old fart.

-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -