New kernel new problems with kernel headers

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Oct 18 23:09:03 UTC 2006

Frank Pineau wrote:

> What, exactly is this vmware-any-any?  I ran into the same problem and
> saw the same advice on several other boards, but no explanation.  As
> VMWare has always worked fine for me on previous kernels, I was hesitant
> to install this unknown piece of software that I've never needed before.

It's a patch written by one of the VMware developers to smooth out some
incompatibilities between the official VMware releases and new
bleeding-edge kernels.

It's an unofficial patch, i.e. it's not officially supported by VMware,
but it's made by someone knowledgeable. It is eventually included in
later VMware official releases.

It's "safe for consumption" - it has been for several years now.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/