Newly installed 2 CPU Xeon 5130 hangs

Peter Møller Neergaard fedora at euroclub.mit.edu
Thu Oct 19 12:04:30 UTC 2006

Hi Gilboa, David, and James,

Thank you for quick responses, your advises and the pointers.

In our case, the server was completely locked.  Nothing would happen
for three hours in the system log.  In one instance, we had an X
terminal open and there was no response.

For now, I've followed your advise of going to run level 3 along with
unplugging keyboard, mouse, and monitor (just in case it could be
interference with external hardware).  In addition, I stopped the
following services: atd, anacron, avahi-daemon, bluetooth, cpuspeed,
rpcgssd, rpcidmapd, autofs, acpid, gpm, and xfs.

Knock the wood, but so far the server has stayed up for 18 hours.
I'm going to give it another 2 days before I'll conclude that this is
it.  If not, I'll look into a memtest or the NULL cable.

Thank you again.

/Peter