Cannot update vmware with kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Thu Oct 19 13:33:55 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 09:10 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Kam Leo wrote:
>
> > I've got VMwareWorstation-5.5.2-29772 installed and have encountered
> > the same problem as the OP. The vmware-any-any-update104/runme.pl
> > fails due to the following: "Unable to access the installer database
> > /etc/vmware/locations in read-mode".  Guess I've just have to keep
> > using the previous kernel and wait for the next kernel and/or vmware
> > patch.
>
> Interesting.  Does /etc/vmware/locations exist?  It appears to be built by
> the vmware-config.pl script.
>
> The latest vmware-any-any-104 patch causes the VMware menu items to
> disappear from Applications -> System Tools, which is why I tried without
> it.  The vmware-config.pl build works fine and vmware runs fine without
> the patch on my system.
>
> I don't seem to be able to do Netware logins from my virtual WinXP, but
> that's a topic for another thread.

For the record, I use VMware Workstation 5.5.2 (latest build) at home
and have not used the patch since about 3 kernel updates ago. Everything
is fine there.

At work, I have a VMware Server (build 29996) running on FC5, also
without the patch. The biggest problem with the new kernel was getting
our Microsoft Relationship Manager to help reboot after the kernel
upgrade and explain why we're better off running our Longhorn and Vista
betas on VMware under Linux.

That was an easy explanation as well, but also a story for another
thread... :)

Once FC6 officially hits the mirrors, I'll try rebuilding both without
the patch and report back here.

Cheers,

Chris

--