Looking for a bookmark manager/server

Kirk Lowery empirical.humanist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 14:38:04 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com> wrote:

> Around 03:06pm on Thursday, October 19, 2006 (UK time), Kirk Lowery
> scrawled:
>
> > On 10/19/06, Steve Searle <steve at stevesearle.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >Around 02:52pm on Thursday, October 19, 2006 (UK time), Kirk Lowery
> > >scrawled:

> > >Softlinked Firefox bookmarks file.
> > >

> > Thanks for the response. A little more info, please. Is your webserver
> on
> > the same machine as your desktop? Or, like my setup, is the webserver on
> > different hardware from your desktop?
>
> Kirk,
>
> Reading your other email about you requirement I think this may not be
> what you want.  On all my workstations I mount a "common" directory from
> a file server on the network, and then create a softlink for the Firefox
> bookmarks file on each workstation I use.
>
> See the bottom of this section:
> http://www.stevesearle.com/tech/fed.core5.ws.html#customise
>
> You do need to be careful when updating the bookmarks file from two
> simultaneous Firefox sessions.

So you use nfs to cross machines. That answers the one question I had.

I'm not that familiar with Firefox's bookmark feature, since I have rarely
used it. :-)  But it looks fairly "primitive" feature-wise in comparision to
the webapps I've mentioned. But I must admit it's a slick solution to most
folk's needs.

Kirk