iCal Server

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Fri Oct 20 16:53:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 12:43 +1000, Andrew wrote:
> Been trying to create an exchange replacement for years,
> for Outlook users :)
>
> Anyway, for Calendaring I came across an Outlook plugin
> that works with iCalendar (SourceForge: RemoteCalendars)
> Haven't tried it yet ...
> So ... went looking for an iCalendar 'server' and found
> WebCalendar (also on SourceForge)
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either of these or
> other such tools and have recommendations?
> (Don't mention Zimbra - the OpenSource version is
> effectively crippled - the Outlook Connector apparently
> isn't available with the OSS version - even though the
> full Zimbra version relies heavily on other OpenSource
> software: e.g. PostFix and OpenLDAP)
>
> I noticed someone posted a question about iCal on the
> 1st of August and got no response at all ... but maybe
> someone has actually setup a linux box to use iCalendars
> somewhere ... ?
>
> -Thanks for any information you may be able to supply

We're using WebCalendar here at work and the users are very happy with
it. There is good support from the developer and the SourceForge project
is very active.

I'm the only one here using iCal features (via Evolution), everyone else
accesses the calendar via our Intranet (but I will definitely take a
look at the Outlook plugin you mention). One thing to bear in mind is
that the current WebCalendar release provides read-only iCal access,
full read/write access is planned for the next release.

Brian

--
Brian Gaynor
www.pmccorp.com