nsswitch/winbindd question

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Sun Oct 22 10:44:20 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 10:27 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 22 October 2006 09:59, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Logwatch, in the Samba section, lists the following:
> >
> > nsswitch/winbindd.c:main(986)  Could not init idmap -- netlogon proxy only
> > : 2 Time(s)
> >  nsswitch/winbindd_dual.c:child_read_request(49)  Got invalid request
> > length: 0 : 3 Time(s)
> >
> > I could do with some pointers on this, as googling only turned up one
> > reference, which referred to ldap, and I don't use that.
> >
> > I'm not sure what nsswitch or winbindd do, and maybe I have them running
> > but don't need them.

AIUI, winbind is only needed if you are authenticating users against
NTLM (i.e. NT domain) or Active Directory. If you are running winbind,
it will try to contact a Primary Domain Controller, and I think it will
time out if it finds none. I've only used winbind once, and that was to
get a Fedora file server to join a NT4 domain more than a year ago.

nsswitch is your "name server switch", which tells your computer what
mechanism to use to resolve hostnames (i.e. DNS, /etc/hosts, etc.).

So, you probably want to disable winbindd if you're not running on an
Active Directory/NT domain. Not sure about nsswitch though. I didn't
know that this was a daemon at all, just assumed that it is a
file /etc/nsswitch.conf'.

HTH
--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym at cymulacrum.net
web:    http://cymulacrum.net
pgp:    http://cymulacrum.net/pgp/cymulacrum.asc

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur