with recent kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [5] error warning

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 23 03:00:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 19:20 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:

> --- Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Tim:
> >
> > Dave Jones:
> > > If the motherboard also supports ht, sure.
> >
> > Hmm, apparently so (according to the manufacturer bragging), though I
> > see no options about it in the BIOS.  FC5 was installed on this
> > hardware, and it didn't automatically install a SMP kernel (no idea if
> > it's supposed to, though).  I've installed on, but I can't tell any
> > difference.
> >
> > --
>
> Maybe I am not following this, but FC5 automatically detects if the kernel
> installed should be SMP. My student who I converted to Linux had no clue he had
> a second processor, but FC5 picked that up. My guess is that he has a dual
> core,  since he was otherwise blisfully unaware.....

The easiest way I know to find out if the kernel is handling the
processor(s) correctly is to look at the dmesg output.

Processor #0 15:11 APIC version 16
ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)
Processor #1 15:11 APIC version 16
ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x00] dfl dfl lint[0x1])

then further down I see:

Checking aperture...
CPU 0: aperture @ d4f8000000 size 32 MB
Aperture from northbridge cpu 0 too small (32 MB)
No AGP bridge found
SMP: Allowing 2 CPUs, 0 hotplug CPUs
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/hda2
Initializing CPU#0

which clearly shows that it sees 2 processors (an AMD Athlon 64 X2) and
enabled SMP for it.