OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 15:10:06 UTC 2006

Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 19:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

>>>That information is backwards. In regular 650MB-700MB CD's, the
>>>recorded layer is very near the label side (not laser side) of the
>>>disk. Therefore, scratches on the label side are more dangerous to the
>>>data than scratches on the laser side. DVD's, on the other hand, have
>>>the recorded layer exactly in the middle, so is is protected from both
>>>sides.
>>>
>>>However, you should not apply paper labels to a disk because it will
>>>upset the disk's balance. This might not be a problem n an audio disk
>>>that is spun at 1x speed maximum. However, a data disk that is spun at
>>>x52 speed is very sensitive to balance. Also, the paper could intefere
>>>with the tight tolerances of CD players, notably those found in cars.
>>>
>>>Always use a FELT TIP marker to mark CDs. A regular ball point will
>>>very likely scratch the label side of a CD, thereby damaging the
>>>recorded layer.
>>>

>>Hmm - I have paper-labelled CDs full of photos for years, and never had a
>>balance problem.  I do think, though, that a proper mounting/aligning tool is
>>necessary to avoid this.
>>
>>Thanks for sharing your thoughts
>>

> I have used paper labels for years as well.  Using a suitable alignment
> tool seems to be all that is needed, and they are really inexpensive and
> easy to use.
>
> There can be problems with writing directly on the CD.  A permanent
> marker has solvents in the ink that can damage the thin plastic data
> layer which is on the label side of the disk, and that damage can take
> some time to appear.  Some disks are more susceptible than others to
> these solvents.  Because of this issue, for disks that I intend to keep
> a long time I have always used the paper labels.
>
> Now that the prices of printable disks (CD & DVD) has become affordable,
> and the printers for them are available and some even can be used in
> Linux, I have quit buying the paper labels and buy only the printable
> CDs and DVDs.

Recently I acquired an Epson Stylus Photo RX-700. I had to use the CUPS
driver for the Stylus Photo 700 in order to make it work, but I /did/
get it to work. That printer has a guide for printing directly to a
disk--and now you can get printable disks for about $0.50 US per disk,
or even less. Paper labels now add too much to the price of
non-printable (branded) disks to make them worthwhile. Add to it that a
directly printed disk looks neater and is easier to clear the player.

Temlakos