OT: labelling CD/DVD disks

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 16:03:01 UTC 2006

On 23/10/06, Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net> wrote:
> While that *may* work, I would guess that the scratch was outside the
> written data area on the disk and all you did was tell the drive that
> the unwritten portion of the disk was _not damaged_.  A scratch in the
> data area of the disk would certainly have resulted in damaged data
> tracks and corrupt data (that may or may not have been correctable). The
> severity (width) of the scratch would also have been a factor.

The scratch was not especially near the center of the disk. Also, I
was able to read the first 10 or so pictures before the fix, and all
of the disk afterwards. So a portion of the disk was in fact readable
before the fix.

Next time I backup, I don't mind doing an experiment on my old backup
disk. I'll make a light scratch, prove to myself that the drive cannot
read it, and then try to fix it with a marker. I'll post the results
if there's interest.

Dotan Cohen

http://fedoratricks.com
http://dotancohen.com/howto/netscape_bat_email.php