Can't boot kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 23 16:15:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 15:50 +0800, Mel wrote:
> Goksin Akdeniz wrote:
> >> In VAR the boot.log file is empty (0 bytes).
> >> DMesg has no info about the failure
> >> Messages also has no info about the failure.
> >>

> >> What happens is that I get the boot menu and select the kernel I want.
> >> This part is ok.
> >>
> >> Then I get some text that is to fast for me to read.
> >>
> >> What I can read says something about a panic - APCI- - an unsafe unwind
> >> and mentions something called DWARF2.
> >>
> > Ok then here is a suggestion:
> >
> > Boot your system. Select the 2.6.18-xxx kernel and press e to edit boot
> > options. Move to the end of the line with right & left arrow keys. Type
> > acpi=off et tne end of the line. Press enter and then b
> >
> > So your new kernel will boot with ACPI disabled. If it is really a power issu
> > this will reveal it.
> >
> > And how to get the boot.log file?
> >
> > It is easy. When you log in to tthe system run terminal/konsole. type su or su
> > root and become root.
> >
> > when it is done type gedit. Now you van browse and edit files. Ypu can read
> > the content od boot.msg and boot.log in /var/log.
> >
> > I hope it works.
> >
> > Goksin Akdeniz
> > --------
> > www.enixma.org
> >

> I understand what you are telling me - almost.
>
> I am using grub.
>
> I get more than one line. Which one gets the acpi=off?

If you use -a instead of -e you only get the kernel line to change.
That one is where you put the acpi-off.

> Would editing grub.conf and adding acpi=off at the end of the kernel
> line do the same thing?

Yes, but it makes it 'permanent' and would require another edit to
remove it later.

> I will try then one by one while I am waiting to hear from you.
>
> I can get to /var/log. There is no boot.msg file. There are several
> versions of boot.log -- all of them are 0 bytes in length -- they are empty.

that is normal on my system

> I have looked at the DMesg, messages (more than one version, and the
> boot files. I see no data about the failures.

To me it sounds as if the crash is occurring before the system gets the
logging turned on, so anything stored in memory is lost instead of being
written to /var/log/messages or dmesg.

> Is there a way to turn on recording into the boot,log file?

logging to boot.log is done by syslogd.  If that is not already active
when a message needs logged it may get lost.  Look at /etc/syslog.conf
to see what gets logged where.  You may fine tune as needed, but as
always, keep a working copy to restore if something goes wrong.