What require eeprom module [WAS: Re: *Serious* security problem with nVidia binary driver is New driver working?]

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Mon Oct 23 21:01:25 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman a écrit :
> On 10/23/06, François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Lonni J Friedman a écrit :

>> month):

>> screen
>> startx...

>> > See:
>> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=996233&postcount=20
>>
>> Thank you! It is now working. I removed the eeprom module. What is this
>> module? I put it in my /etc/rc.local after running sensors-detect but it
>> seems to be unused by my system... I had alse to disable lm_sensors
>> services to prevent the loading of this module, so I don't know for what
>> these services are useful.
>

> eeprom is used for SMBUS.  You could have also just applied the patch
> instead of disabling eeprom.

Of course! but that's the why of my mail: as I'm not so aware of what is
what among the modules for hardware control, I could see that eeprom
module was not in use on my system and that, on the contrary, i2c*
modules were used by many others (including nvidia...), I have chosen to
disable eeprom rather than apply the patch which disables i2c*.

But I could be wrong!

Thanks for your lights.

--
François Patte