How does Firefox 2 get added?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 18:36:39 UTC 2006

On 10/24/06, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:04:16PM -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> >It seems
> > the Debian folks want to be able to back port patches but were told by
> > the Mozilla folks that they couldn't and still release it as Firefox.
> > My post pointed out the Fedora and RHEL do that all the time.  The
> > response was that the Mozilla.org folks only want official patches
> > coming from them and no backports to older versions.  Thus, Debian came
> > up with the Iceweasle approach.
>
> This is true, Slashdot or not. Fedora is working in big grey area due to
> the
> active involvement of the Fedora engineer with the Mozilla project.

Well ... that is not entirely true. From what I understand, the deal is that
any patches on the official builds need to be reviewed and approved by
MozCorp to use MozCorp's trademark. The delay that this would present was
not acceptable to the Debian folks. MozCorp is trying to build a brand and
don't want any old binary floating around sporting the trademarked name even
if the binary floating around might be better than their official one.
Debian's issue with the review policy is largely speculative (since one
would think that MozCorp would be interested in patching security holes in
their own product just as much as Debian is) but it is appearently one that
the RH/Fedora engineer (Christopher Aillon) working with the Mozilla Project
shares based on this comment on the devel list:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-October/msg00624.html
... and why I mentioned that they will have to deal with lots of comments
from the Iceweasle-brigade.

/Mike