odd? Or not?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Oct 25 21:33:44 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 13:24 +0100, Scott van Looy wrote:
> just asked Yum to install the kernel-devel package. Why has it offered to
> install both architectures? Is this correct? I'm new to x86_64 ;)
>
> Dependencies Resolved

>   Package                 Arch       Version          Repository
> Size
> Installing:
>   kernel-devel     i686     2.6.18-1.2798.fc6  core   4.6 M
>   kernel-devel     x86_64   2.6.18-1.2798.fc6  core   4.8 M
>
> Transaction Summary

Do you have both kernels installed?
If so and you want only one architecture you need to remove the one you
do not want.
   yum remove kernel.i686
Once that is done and you have verified you are booted from the one you
kept with uname, then running "yum install kernel-devel" should give
only the one arch.

If you installed the x86_64 arch it should not have installed the i686
_unless_ you did it as an upgrade from an _already installed_ i686 arch.

That is one of the gotchas on upgrades vs clean installs.