yum

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Oct 25 21:47:00 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 12:21 -0700, Ben Mohilef wrote:
> > > "Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core"
> > > Where is the mistake?
> >

> We found the baseurl lines commented out in several repo's after the last
> update. After uncommenting them, yum worked as usual.

The baseurl lines got commented out by the yum updates because it was
decided to distribute the load by using the mirrorlist line.
At present the mirrorlist url given is overloaded so it is causing
problems with FC5 updates.  Be patient and the normal update process
will work as soon as the "feeding frenzy" on the FC6 downloads (which
uses the same mirrorlist server) subsides a bit.

If the mirrorlist was not being used to distribute the load, the baseurl
server would be experiencing the same problem (only much worse).
Although you can go back to the baseurl, eliminating the mirrors will
cause other (probably more severe) problems at some point.