How to change partition number

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 22:58:31 UTC 2006

On 10/25/06, Giuseppe Giannuzzi <beppeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is a way to change the partition number without loss of data?
> For instance, I would change the /dev/sda1 to /dev/sda2 for /boot partition.
>
> Thanx,
> Beppe
>
> --

Hi Giuseppe Giannuzzi!

There is no way when doing such a thing to garuntee no loss of data.
It is an exacting operation.

Basically you copy the partitions to another space and then back as you wish.

Be very careful of boot loader related issues (where the boot loader
is, how it is pointed to, who made and configures the Master Boot
Record)!!!!!!!

Not worth attempting without a critical reason I would say.

Good Hunting!

Tod