fc6 java

Uno Engborg uno at webworks.se
Fri Oct 27 03:52:44 UTC 2006

Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Marcel Janssen <korgull at home.nl> [2006-10-26 19:14]:
>
>> Before someone asks, the supplied java in fc6 doesn't work for me and I
>> don't care to fix that.
>>

> Okay, but can you tell us why?
>
> Andrew

There are many reasons for using Sun java. I don't know why Marcel
needed Sun java,
but in my case it would be missing APIs and speed. Other reasons could
be that jpackage
use a directory structure that is nonstandard from a Java perspective,
this could potentially break certain applications or at least their
installers.

So to install java, I  simply download the binary self extracting
package from Sun
unpack it in /opt and set JAVA_HOME and update the PATH variable by
creating a java.sh
in /etc/profile.d

Regards
Uno Engborg