FC6 on External USB HD with MacBook

Pankaj Jain pjain001 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 03:41:05 UTC 2006

Hello All,
I have been trying for the last two days to install FC6 on an
external USB HD used with my MacBook.  So far, booting off the DVD I
get a kernel panic unless I specify noapic.  To avoid the kernel
panic, I have tried the following commands.  They all get me to the
installation process but none recognize the USB HD.

linux expert noapic
linux askmethod noapic
linux expert askmethod noapic

I can see that usb-storage is not being loaded but I'm not sure why
and I always thought that 'askmethod' would force it.

I read that another user had similar problems ( https://
www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2006-October/msg01358.html ).  He
kept trying his luck at not plugging in the usb cable that powers his
USB HD and that seemed to work for him but not for me.  He's also not
using a MacBook.  Anyone have any suggestions other than throwing out
the MacBook and getting another ThinkPad? :-)

Cheers,
Pankaj