FC5 and compiz

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 06:55:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 21:18 -0500, ethericalzen at gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:52:43 -0400
> Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and
> scribbled:
>
> > On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 15:01 -0500, ethericalzen at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > <snippage>
> >
> > >  So I suggest you make sure that you log
> > > out and back in to ensure the nvidia module is working before
> > > your start editing things and making back ups.
> >
> > Thanx Alex! You did a great job of breaking it down more. Only
> > prob is that I'm still running FC5. I thought the update of the
> > livna modules was good for FC5 as well. Lonnie said in his post
> > that it was just for FC6. <groans> Is it just a matter of having
> > the FC6 kernel? Or is there a slew of changes making this entire
> > matter moot? Thanx! Ric
> >

> As Lonni helpfully points out and is very very correct, although
> you can get compiz to work with aiglx on FC5, it's much much
> simpler if you move over to FC6. Although I did manage to get FC5
> working with compiz and AIGLX, it wasn't at all stable for me and
> certainly wasn't fun to work on. I highly recommend FC6 for this.
>
> During periods of high activity on my desktop, the mouse seems to
> have a bit of trouble tracking. YMMV, but I thought I'd point that
> out to you. It does look very good though.

So far the only problem Ive seen is that some applications menus break
up into digital spaghetti. Otherwise it runs pretty well. Dvd playback
is slower. Methinks with some tweaking it'll be usable for now. It looks
nice as Hell, and now I'm spoiled. I'll wait for FC6.2 though. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net