desktop effects issues and NVidia beta driver

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Sun Oct 29 20:26:16 UTC 2006

My graphics card is:

# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
5200 Ultra] (rev a1)

I installed the beta NVidia driver from here:

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/testing/6/i386/

$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.9626-2.lvn6
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel-1.0.9626-2.lvn6
kmod-nvidia-1.0.9626-1.2.6.18_1.2798.fc6

I tried to enable Desktop Effects but it refused to work.

I then added Load  "extmod" to the Module section in xorg.conf and I
could turn on the Effects. Rotating the desktop cube works fine. The
menus wobble just fine.
However:
- gnome-terminal is just a white rectangle with nothing in it (even if I
blindly type something, it doesn't show up, although the commands are
executed, so it's just a display issue) and the
title bar with the window buttons (minimize, maximize, close) is not
displayed.
- any window is displayed without the title bar. Other applications than
the terminal (Thunderbird, Text Editor) are displayed fine but without
the title bar.

I added this to xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
         Option "Composite"
EndSection

...but still no improvement.

I attached xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log to this message.

Any suggestions?

Desktop Effects work just fine out of the box on my laptop with an ATI card.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/