cant get out with anything other than firefox

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Sun Oct 29 22:22:28 UTC 2006

dsc21b at people.net.au wrote:
> hi all
> the internet connection is working fine - firefox and other computers
> access the internet ok, on all levels.
> firefox is working fine, web mail is all i can use
> thunderbird/evolution/irc/yum/up2date cant access the net
> with selinux turned off
> with the firewall turned off

Sounds to me like firefox might be using a proxy of some sort that the
other programs aren't. Double check that in its config. You can do a
sanity check as root with:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
To make sure your domain searches and dns servers are correct

ifconfig
To check your network interface settings are correct.

route -n
To check the routing is correct

iptables --list
To double check there really are no dangling rules left and default
policy should be accept.

--
Ian Chapman.