Oops NOT SOLVED: Dual boot Fed5 & Fed6

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Oct 29 23:25:15 UTC 2006

George Hare wrote:
> I spoke much too hastily. He whom the gods would destroy, they first
> make proud.
> I can still access each but it requires booting from a cd if I want to
> change. I think that there might be some mixing of file systems as
> well, don't ask me how. Matter of fact don't ask me anything, I'll
> ruin your box.
>
> George Hare

A short reference is that you need to add a chainloader comand to the
installation of grub installed in the MBR. From the installation
installed on the secondary drive, you can boot from the rescue disk,
chroot /mnt/sysimage and then run grub-install /dev/hdb# to have grub
chainload the secondary installation via your first grub menu.

Once the entry is in your primary grub.conf file that chainloads the
secondary grub installation, you should be fine thereafter.

For the possible mixed mountpoints, I don't know. My development install
(secondary) does not share anything except a swap lvm volume with this
FC6 installation. Neither is anything shared from the primary install
with the development installation.

FC7 is off to a glibc rollback already, but it still boots.

good luck, you'll get this working on your distros with a few more attempts.
Jim

--
Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.