NVIDIA kernel module can't be built with dkms - says kernel source is not installed

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Oct 30 03:53:25 UTC 2006

On Sun October 29 2006 10:37 pm, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Claude Jones wrote:
> > On Sun October 29 2006 10:27 pm, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> >> Make sure that your kernel-devel RPM is the same arch as
> >> your kernel. Alot of people are hitting a bug where they are
> >> mixed i586/i686.
> >
> > That's what I remember reading! How do I check the arch of
> > the respective packages?
>
> rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH}\n"
> | grep kernel

Bing!

rpm -qa --queryformat "%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH}\n" |
grep kernel
kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i386
kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686
kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i586

What a mess! Is there a fix for this, yet? Presumably, I should be
on the 686 kernel, first of all. The 586 kernel was installed
automatically by the DVD installation. I did a fresh install
except for keeping my old /home. I'm running a modern 2.66 GHz
duo-core CPU.

Once it decided, for whatever reason, to install the 586 kernel,
it then picked up the headers and devel packages, presumably,
when I installed the NVIDIA driver - there seems to be a
concatenation of mistakes.

Is this best left for the packaging teams to sort out over the
next few days, or is there a fix now?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA