Installing FC6 from USB drive

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Mon Oct 30 06:19:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 23:01 -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Sunday October 29 2006 18:31, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > You can install from a USB drive you need expert mode to see the USB
> > > devices at boot.
> > >
> > > Alternatively, you can put the DVD image in a filesystem that will not be
> > > updated during the install/upgrade process.  You still need to boot from
> > > the boot.iso or ore of the other images in the image directory on the DVD
> > > image. Booting from the rescue CD should also work.  At the boot prompt
> > > respond " linux askmethod"
> >
> > OK, I loaded the DVD disk contents to the USB hard drive. But I'm
> > wondinger if I should be copying the iso file itself. When I boot the
> > DVD iso file, I eventually get to a menu that includes /dev/sda1 and
> > asks for a directory holding "images". I've tried putting several things
> > here (like "images") but it reports "Failed to read
> > directory /tmp/hdimage/images: No such file or directory."
> >
> OK how did you copy the DVD.iso to the USB drive?
> I'm guessing that you mounted the image -o loop and then
> did some kind of a recursive copy down the tree of the loopback mount-point
> to the USB disk.  If that's the case the directory containing the image
> is /dev/sda1.

Unfortunately, no. The iso file is on my work computer. All I had was
the DVD install disk which I copied to the hard drive and of course it
doesn't work. I'll save a copy of the iso file as a data file on a DVD,
and then copy it to the hard drive and mount it as you suggest. I should
have known that from other things I've done. I think it should be
something like:

mount FC-6-x86_64-DVD.iso -r -t iso9660 -o loop /some_mount_pt

I'm still not clear as to the directory. If I dump the iso to the USB
drive or to the hard drive, there are going to be other directories and
files on the drive. Somehow I have to tell it where to find things but
it's unclear to me.

Thanks for your help.

Rick