Tips for passing the media check

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Mon Oct 30 16:31:35 UTC 2006

List members,

I downloaded the FC6 installation images to my Windows XP machine and
used Nero to burn them to CDs, but the media check kept failing.  After
some research, I found a reliable method for burning installation CDs
that pass the media check.

1)  Boot into Knoppix using the following boot options
     - knoppix 2 toram dma

2) Stop the automount service
     - /etc/init.d/autofs stop

3) Unmount the CD burner
     - umount /mnt/cdrom

4) Mount the drive containing the FC6 images
     - mount /dev/hda1

5) Change to the directory containing the FC6 images
     - cd /mnt/hda1/FC6/i386

6) Burn the images to CD
     - cdrecord -v -pad -dao speed=16 -eject dev=/dev/cdrom
FC-6-i386-disc1.iso

Of course, any Linux distribution should work, but I just happened to
have my Knoppix 4.0.2 CD handy.  The important part is invoking cdrecord
with the -pad and -dao options.  In order to determine the right speed
setting for your machine, you can use the -dummy option to perform test
runs.

Good luck,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions