any reason to use Sun's Java?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Mon Oct 30 18:52:15 UTC 2006

> > 	For another take on this...
> >
> > 	Often I will install many different JVM's just so I can have the option
> > to use the one that works best for the situation.  I install them
> > in /opt when I can and then use a collection of simlinks to pick and
> > choose the JVM I want to use.
>
> Doesn't that sort-of assume that you are the only user and doing
> only one thing at once on this multi-user, multi-tasking OS (i.e. not
> a reasonable assumption for everyone)?

	True.  This kind of setup is for desktop systems and not for servers.
Still, it could be adapted for a server environment by having the
developers make symlinks to their JDK within, say, $HOME/bin, and
leaving one default version for systemwide usage.

	As I said, just another of the infinite possibilities available.