evolution + maildir

Michal Janda diskuse at jndm.net
Mon Oct 30 20:59:54 UTC 2006

On 10/30/06, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:11 +0100, Michal Janda wrote:
> > Hi,
> > is there any chance how to use evolution and store mail at maildir,
> > not mbox? I am downloading several mail list via pop3 and the mbox
> > file is getting too big.
> >
> > Michal
> I am not sure what you are asking. In evolution you can store mail from
> each source in a different folder. So exactly what is your problem that
> you are trying to fix.
> --
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>

There are at least two different ways how to store mail. One is mbox and
other is maildir. In brief:
mbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbox) - all messages are in one huge
file, so if you have at your mail klient Inbox, Work, Friends and Password
folders, at disk you have for each one big file. This is how e.g.
Thunderbird store mail.

maildir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir) - each mail message is in a
single file, so if you have the same mail layout as I described you have
inbox folder and inside plenty of files, the same for Work, Friends,
passwords etc.

If I remember well, in Pegasus mail when you create new mail account, You
can choose which format for storing mail is used.
--
ICQ - 132536462
www.mountainbike.cz