Yum

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Oct 31 01:07:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 00:47 +0000, Darren Foster wrote:

> > > ----
> > > OK - yum should work now
> >
> > For the record, this didn't make yum work because yum doesn't look at the
> > contents (or existence) of the fedora-release file.  Instead, it looks at
> > the RPM db for the version of the package fedora-release (or whatever
> > "distroverpkg" is set for).
> >
> > --
> > William Hooper
> >

> For the Record... if you continued to see the further posts you will
> have noticed it was resolved with the below command.
>
> rpm -ivh --force
> ftp://ftp.net.usf.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386//os/Fedora/RPMS/fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm
>
> (I don't generally like the 'force' option but in this case, it should
> be ok)
----
which probably proves his assertion... I assumed that you merely did an
'rm /etc/*release' where it would appear that you did an 'rpm -e
fedora-release' which meant that installing the
fedora-release.noarch.rpm would have failed after I had you manually
create /etc/fedora-release and /etc/redhat-release, and I was lazy and
told you to '--force' the install where I should have told you to remove
those files manually and then see if you could install the rpm without
the '--force' option...but I didn't want to wear your patience out.

Craig