e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block

M. Lewis cajun at cajuninc.com
Tue Oct 31 06:14:18 UTC 2006

Adam Hough wrote:
> Every time I have seen 'bad magic number in super-block' it has been
> cause I was trying to mount something as the wrong type.
>
> "mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc /Big-Drive/"  though generally you would
> mount /dev/hdcX and not just /dev/hdc.

Thanks Adam. Yes, I tried that too. Still no luck:

[root at moe ~]# mount -t ext3 /dev/hdc2 /Big-Drive/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc2,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

--

  Honey, I Formatted the Kid!
   01:10:01 up 10:58,  0 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.31, 0.25

  Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org