yum problem - and solution

Stuart eight32 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 11:36:36 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> The second time I ran "sudo yum update" after upgrading to FC-6
> I got the error
>         Metadata file does not match checksum
> even after running "yum clean all" and "yum makecache".
>
> So I googled for
> 'yum "Metadata file does not match checksum"'
> and got the advice
> ======================================
> i did this
> mv /var/cache/yum/* /tmp
> than i run the yum install <appz>
> ======================================
> which did indeed do the trick.
>
> This leaves me slightly puzzled -
> (1) Why did I get this error?
> and
> (2) Why did "yum clean all" not solve the problem?

What are the perms on the files/directories?

I haven't installed FC6 yet (prolly will do so this weekend :-), but I
do remember having to chmod the /var/named/slave directory to allow
for updates from the master BIND server on an default install FC4 box
about a year ago.

HTH

Stu@

--
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.